UPPAbaby MESA vs. Nuna PIPA Infant Car Seats
If you’re thinking of purchasing an UPPAbaby VISTA V2 or CRUZ V2, or Nuna MIXX, this question has probably crossed your mind at one point or another. It may even be the topic of dinnertime conversation!
So, how do you choose the one that is right for you? That’s where we come in!
Key Car Seat Features
No re-thread harness:Nuna PIPA– No
UPPAbaby MESA – Yes
Anti-rebound bar, or load leg:Nuna PIPA – No
UPPAbaby MESA – Handle must be moved forward when in vehicle and acts as anti-rebound device
Latch type:Nuna PIPA – Rigid latches
UPPAbaby MESA – Self-retracting UAS
Canopy:Nuna PIPA – Extra-large dream drape
UPPAbaby MESA – Could be bigger
Weight + height limits:Nuna PIPA & UPPAbaby MESA – Both 4-35 lbs or up to 32” or when head is within 1" of the top of the car seat
[your child has outgrown their seat when they have hit any one of these limits]
Car seat weight:Nuna PIPA – 7.9 lbs
UPPAbaby MESA – 9.9 lbs
Can it be installed without the base?:Nuna PIPA – Yes
UPPAbaby MESA - Yes
If any of these terms have your head spinning, make sure you review this car seat terms glossary that we created to help you out with that!
- Quickly installs with 2 rigid latches
- Huge canopy provides maximum coverage
- Compatible with many different strollers to create a travel system
- One of the lightest infant car seats on the market
- Stunning leatherette detail on the carry handle for comfort and style
- Proper recline level is measured with blue line on car seat being parallel to the ground – this can require use of a towel or pool noodle to adjust to proper angle in your vehicle [no angle adjustment options built into the base]
- No additional anti-rebound system in Canada [there is a load leg on US PIPA car seats only] - please note that all car seats must meet very high anti-rebound rotation standards in Canada with or without additional features
- Base is long which can lead to incompatibility in some vehicles with shorter seats [20% of base allowed to overhang]
- Manual adjustment of shoulder straps as baby grows
- Uses a self-retracting latch system to get a tight install against the vehicle seat back
- Red/green indicators in multiple spots on base to confirm proper install and angle
- No re-thread harness is easy to make adjustments on the fly
- Added layer of Side Impact Protection surrounds baby’s head
- Base has height adjustments built in to fit on vehicle seats with a seat with a deeper slope & the use of pool noodles or rolled up towels is allowed when need be [*refer to manual for more details]
Final ThoughtsWe hope that helps break down the differences between these two popular infant car seats for you!
If you’re leaning towards the Nuna PIPA, make sure you check out this article on the Nuna PIPA vs. PIPA Lite vs. PIPA Lite LX to see what the major differences are between models!