CARES Child Aviation Restraint System is designed specifically for aviation use for children age 1 and older who weigh between 22 and 44 pounds. These youngsters are old enough to be in their own seats, but are too small for the seat belt alone to protect them and provide the safety they require during airplane travel. Their bodies cannot withstand the jolts that are common in routine air travel, much less emergency situations, and they flail forward or slide beneath the seat belt if they are not held securely in place.
Each year more and more young children fly. But until CARES came along, what was missing was a convenient, hassle-free way to keep young flyers safe.
CARES is manufactured exclusively by AmSafe, the foremost manufacturer of aviation seatbelts and pilot restraints in the world. (Turn over your airplane seat belt buckle. Chances are it says AmSafe.) CARES is made of the same industrial-strength webbing as your own seat belt and is engineered to the highest aviation-safety standards.
- CARES is the first and only harness type Aviation Child Safety Device to be certified by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) as an alternative to a car seat.
- CARES is an elegantly designed belt-and-buckle device that works in conjunction with the regular airplane seat belt and provides young travelers the same level of safety as a car seat.
- CARES weighs just one pound and fits into a 6″ stuff sack! It is easily portable, simple to install, adjustable to every size airplane seat, and usable on any window or center seat in the airplane, except in the emergency exit rows.
- Need your car seat on the other end of the trip? Just check it through as luggage – and carry CARES on board in your pocket!
Set Up Instructions:
- Seat your child in the airplane seat he or she will occupy.
- Lower the tray table behind your child’s seat.
- Slide the RED LOOP of the CARES restraint over the seat back, adjust the height of the RED LOOP so it is just above your child’s shoulders, and tighten it. Then close the tray table covering the Red Loop.
- Place the BLACK SHOULDER STRAPS over your child’s shoulders and slide the buckle and connector ends of the regular airplane seat belt through the loops at the bottom of the BLACK SHOULDER STRAPS.
- Buckle the seat belt and pull it snugly across your child’s lap as you normally would do – and then buckle the chest clip and snug down the Shoulder Straps.