I am a huge fan of baby wearing/carrying, and who wouldn’t be? It is such a great way to bond with your new bundle and it is also super convenient. Both boys found it soothing to be right next to my heart and I love having my hands free to get things done chase my 2 year-old!
Just like any baby purchase, finding the perfect carrier for both you and babe can be pretty daunting. To help you out over the next few weeks I am going to be blogging about different carriers that are on the market. I will put each one to the test with mister Myles and go over the pros & cons.
There are 2 different ‘styles’ of carriers:
- Slings/wraps- wearing baby with the help of fabric
- Structured carriers- wearing baby with the help of straps & clips that can be adjusted
Both are great ways to carry baby and it’s just about finding what works best for your lifestyle and needs. I always tell customer to get educated and then come in after baby arrives and try a bunch on with baby. Not all babies like the same style so it’s best to see what they are most happy in (that’s most important) and what fits you (without your belly ).
This week I put the Cuddly Wrap to the test – love that the super soft fabric is 100% organic cotton!
I know that a lot of you loooove your wrap and it is easy to see why- The wrap is one piece of fabric that you tie on yourself (there is a manual and after a couple of times it is a breeze). When you put baby in there is hardly anything between you and baby.
Here is my list of pros and cons:
- One size fits all. Both my hubby and I can wear Myles without having to adjust straps/clips etc…
- Hands free. I could cook, clean, make my bed, change Kellan’s diaper all while wearing Myles. I also know a lot of Moms who sleep with their newborns this way.
- Many different positions to use. The wrap really grows with your babe- from cradle, facing out, to wearing your toddler on your back (Kellan even went for a ride)
- Washable. Who’s kidding who there will be spit-up or poo explosions so having a carrier that you can just toss in the wash is a HUGE bonus!!
- Baby loves it! Myles was so content to be snuggled right next to me with no clips or straps jabbing into his thighs. He was instantly soothed and very happy to be tucked into the wrap
- Great support. You wouldn’t think this but the fabric can be fanned out over your shoulders distributing the weight plus you get great lower back support.
- Not convenient to just slip on. I found I would put the wrap on before going out so I don’t have to play around with it in the mall/grocery parking lot.
- It can be hot. Since there is quite a bit of fabric things can heat up quickly. Perfect for in the winter not so perfect while walking in the summer months.
Overall I loved this carrier and would highly recommend it to any Mom (or Dad). There are sooo many advantages to baby wearing. After carrying your babe for nine months, there is a sense of security found nowhere else except close to Mommy! I am still kicking myself for not coming up with the wrap idea myself, such a simple design that works!
Well ladies and gents that’s a wrap!
Check in next week to hear why a sling may be perfect for you!